TROUBLED state power utility Eskom faces a more than R600m lawsuit, with two financial service companies claiming in court papers that the parastatal unlawfully terminated a contract for the provision of pension solutions and funeral cover to its employees.
In court papers, which Business Day has seen, Salt Employee Benefits and African Unity Insurance accuse Eskom of interfering in their contractual rights and unlawfully replacing them with Sanlam Developing Markets. Eskom is being sued alongside Sanlam Development Markets and Salt’s former CEO, Donovan Walker.
Eskom is already experiencing cash problems in covering operational costs while enduring severe pressure on its national grid, resulting in the return of load-shedding across SA. Read more on BDLive
Cabinet has approved a five-point plan to address the current strain on South Africa’s electricity system as well as the creation of a technical “war room” to undertake various interventions to improve supply security over the short and medium term.
Since the start of November, the country has descended into protracted periods of confidence sapping rotational power cuts, which are designed to prevent the electricity network from experiencing a total blackout.
Minister in The Presidency Jeff Radebe announced that the five-point plan included:
- Interventions by Eskom over a period of 30 days to stabilise the system, with a focus on raising the availability of its coal-fired plant to above 80%, from 72% currently.
- Harnessing short-term independent power producer (IPP) and cogeneration opportunities.
- Accelerating programmes to substitute diesel with gas at the open cycle gas turbines (OCGTs), in the Western Cape.
- Launching coal and cogeneration IPP procurement programmes by the end of January.
- And managing demand through energy efficiency projects within households, municipalities and commercial buildings.
Read more on Polity
Engineering News, 3 July, 2014.
South African police fired rubber bullets to disperse striking workers blocking the entrance to the construction site of Eskom‘s Medupi power station in northern Limpopo province on Thursday, a police spokeswoman said.
“A few hundred workers were blocking one of the entrances to Medupi power plant and we had to use rubber bullets to disperse them,” said police spokeswoman Ronel Otto, adding that the situation had been contained by the afternoon on Thursday…
Read more and despair…